No Grave Layout (This cemetery entry is being developed, check back periodically)
AKA Houston Family Cemetery, Talbot Island Cemetery (GNIS) and Houston--Christopher Cemetery.
Houston Cemetery is thought to be one of the oldest cemeteries in Florida. The oldest grave is that of Elizabeth Houston who died in 1824, at age 27. She was the wife of John Houston who owned about 600 acres on Big Talbot Island plus extensive holdings elsewhere.
It was designated a Landmark Site by Ordinance 2013-6 which stated:
WHEREAS, the property to be designated by this ordinance is the Houston Cemetery located at the south end of Big Talbot Island between Houston Avenue and Mud River in Council District 11, which served as one of the earliest cemeteries in Jacksonville; and
WHEREAS, the Houston Cemetery houses the final resting place of some of Jacksonville’s earliest residents, some of whom served in the Revolutionary War, including Captain John Carroll Houston and Dr. James Hall, who is recognized as being the first practicing physician in Florida; and
WHEREAS, the Houston Cemetery also serves as the final resting place of numerous Civil War veterans, including Charles W. Johnson, who served as the bugler for General Robert E. Lee; ...
The Cemetery is fenced and gated, access is via invitation only.
GPS Coordinates of Access Road 30.466637, -81.438387