FAN Research is researching the people that cluster around your ancestor: friends, associates and neighbors.
The Amelia Island Genealogical Society has published the Nassau County Genealogist continuously since 1994. A print only publication, indexed in PERSI, The Nassau County Genealogist features stories and history of Nassau County, Florida, and its people. It also provides genealogical records which pertain to Nassau County, Florida. Jean Mann has served as the sole editor since the quarterly was first published! Our quarterly is published in January (Winter), April (Spring), July (Summer), and October (Fall). There have been occasional combining of issues and during Covid of 2020 some issues were unable to be published. The Amelia Island Genealogical Society is publishing The Nassau County Genealogist articles in our members only area of this website. This printed quarterly is an important membership benefit that our society members dues fund. Consider joining the Amelia Island Genealogical Society to continue funding this genealogy material! The following table of contents is specific to our website. If you wish to access the full table of contents for the quarterly periodical then you can download it from here for the years of 1994-2015: Table of Contents Volume I Number 1 – Winter 1994 History of Nassau CountyUsed in the description of our History of Nassau County, FL category page. Pigeon Creek Baptist Church, Boulougne History p. 3-6This single post includes the following articles since they all pertained to the same church. Pigeon Creek Original Organization Document, p. 3-4 Minutes – 19 May 1821 – 26 Dec 1826, p. 4-5 Some Pigeon Creek Tombstones, p. 6 Obituaries from the Florida...
This information provides you with useful offsite links to assist in researching your Nassau County ancestors.
Available for download are articles, histories and stories about Amelia Island and Nassau County, Florida and the individuals and families who came to this area.
Members Only. View past issues of the Geneline. The Amelia Island Genealogical Society has published a monthly newsletter since 1992 called the Geneline. The Geneline has informed society members of the current events happening with the Amelia Island Genealogical Society, provided tips and tools on genealogical research, and kept the society members generally informed on occurrences within the genealogical community. Any researcher will find the newsletter of value in their monthly genealogical reading!
The Laodicea Primitive Baptist Church is on the CCA – Thomas Creek Tract. Some sources place this church about 9 miles south of Callahan off US 1 near Thomas Creek, but we have no definite confirmation of the cemetery location, and Thomas Creek Tract is only about 5 miles south of Callahan when traveling US 1. Constituted in 1880. Services held in log church until 1918 when a square, unpainted frame building was erected. The Laodicea Primitive Baptist Church was part of the St. Mary’s River Association. Its first settled pastor was Rev. J. D. Knight, 1880-1917. The church was inventoried as part of the WPA project in 1942 when it’s present pastor was Rev. B. F. Thomas, who had pastored since 1933, and resided on Route #3 in Blackshear, Georgia. Minutes of Laodicea Primitive Baptist Church, 1880-1884, 1901-, 1 vol.Showing articles of Constitution, Government of Church, Rules of decorum, minutes of church conferences, charter members, membership roll, DEATHS. – Custody of clerk, Mrs. Jane Crews, Route #5, Box 712, Jacksonville. If anyone has information concerning the location of the records at this time, please reach out to the Amelia Island Genealogical Society! The deaths may be the only recorded information about those buried in the cemetery attached to the church.
One-to-One Distanced Genealogical Problem-Solving for AIGS Members
All reels are missing some issues but those with noticeable gaps are noted below. Florida Mirror 1878, 1886-1891 7 reels – Nov. 30, 1878 thru Jul. 1886 – Reels 4-10. 7 issues – Mar. 14, 1891; Mar. 17, 1891; Mar. 24, 1891; Mar. 28, 1891; Apr. 7, 1891 & Apr. 25, 1891 – Reel 11. Fernandina Express 1880-1882 2 reels containing the same issues. Most issues are torn with only partial pages included and several issues are missing completely. Generally use Reel 1 but a few of the missing issues appear on Reel 2, which is not in strict date order. Jun. 12, 1880 – Sept. 16, 1882 – Reels 1 & 2 Fernandina News 1891, 1896 1 issue – Jan 17, 1896 – Reel 3. 3 issues – Mar. 3, 1891; Mar. 5, 1891 & Jul. 23, 1891 – Reel 11. The News 1907, 1910 2 issues – May 30, 1907 & Aug. 1910 – Reel 3 Fernandina Record 1908 3 issues – Mar. 13, 1908; July 24, 1908 & Oct. 23, 1908 – Reel 3 Fernandina News-Record 1911, 1918, 1919, 1920 7 issues – Mar. 2, 1911; Oct 18, 1918; Nov. 8, 1918; Nov. 15, 1918; Dec. 12, 1919; Jan. 23, 1920 & Feb. 6, 1920 – Reel 3 Nassau County Leader and Fernandina News-Record 1921-1925 18 issues – Jan 14, 1921; May 6, 1921; Mar. 17, 1922; Mar. 24, 1922; Mar. 31, 1922; Apr. 7, 1922, Apr. 14, 1922; Feb. 9, 1923; Mar. 9, 1923; Jun. 8, …
Every year the Amelia Island Genealogical Society donates a portion of its membership fees to purchase additional books that are then added to our collection housed at the Fernandina Beach Library. These books are available for our society members to check-out of the library using the AIGS membership card along with their Nassau County Library card. Books will be found in our library collection in the back left area of the library. Membership has its benefits!