(View Grave Layout) Opens in a new window.
The Harrison Family Cemetery is located on a portion of the 18 th century Harrison Plantation, on the south end of Amelia Island. The cemetery is a land-locked fenced and gated one acre parcel, with an easement onto First Coast Highway/A1A. Access is limited to Harrison descendants and invited guests. Access to the easement, and gate, is via First Coast Highway. Immediately upon entering the parcel you will find plaques for the Historic Harrison Family Cemetery and Native Americans of the Guale Tribe, who were reburied on the parcel in 1985.
The fenced cemetery is approximately 120 ft by 75 ft. The fence posts are from the Mary Lee Jones Hamilton Family home in Jacksonville which burned in the great fire of 1901, while the fence was salvaged from a Tennessee cemetery moved during the creation of Tellico Lake.
The Harrison Family Cemetery was previously surveyed prior to 1954 (Harrison Private Cemetery, Amelia Island, Nassau County) and later in the 1990’s and reported in Cemeteries of Amelia Island Florida (1997). The 2013 Survey team is shown in the attached photograph.
The Survey document completed by Jim Miller for the latest survey in 2013 can be seen here.
Contact Mary Long at firstname.lastname@example.org for access.