Dennis Partridge

Dennis N. Partridge has been conducting personal research into his family since 1980. In 1996, in the infancy of the Internet, he morphed into a web developer bringing with him his passion for genealogy. Today, Dennis owns and operates AccessGenealogy (https://accessgenealogy.com/), one of the largest, privately owned genealogical websites online, well-known and frequented by Native American family researchers. Dennis also serves as President and Webmaster for the Amelia Island Genealogical Society. He specializes in breaking down brick walls, Native American ancestry, New England ancestry, and French-Canadian ancestry. However, his knowledge is broad enough to answer (or find the answer) to any geographical area.

Franklintown Cemetery Layout

Franklintown Cemetery

Old-timers tell us that there was a deed to the Franklintown Cemetery issued in 1924; it, however was never recorded and has been lost. In 1971, the owners of what is now Plantation Point subdivision, Harry and Melba Sahlman, deeded the cemetery and an access easement to the trustees of the Franklintown Cemetery Association. The configuration of the present fenced area matches the 1971 deed description, but old-timers say that the missing deed covered a larger area and that there are graves outside the fence. The recorded deed gives the trustees the right to determine those entitled to be interred there; burials are reserved in perpetuity to “all descendants and their spouses of those colored workers prior to and at the close of the War Between the States belonging on and to the old ‘Harrison Plantation’.” In plain language, burial privileges are restricted to those who are descendants of the Harrison Plantation slaves. Franklintown Cemetery Location (Amelia Island)1300 Plantation Point DriveFernandina Beach, FL 32034 GPS Location 30.569958, -81.455926 The Franklintown Cemetery is located off A1A at Plantation Point Drive on Amelia Island. Florida Master Site File ID NA00726, established circa 1860, 52 graves. Additional Information about the Franklintown Cemetery Anyone interested in further details should see Nassau County Circuit Court records book 15, pages 469-472. Many of the obvious graves are unmarked. Of those marked, a high percentage are military; there is one marking a Union soldier. A practice of shallow burial with the top of the encasing concrete vault …

Franklintown Cemetery Read More »

Layout of the Fernandez Cemetery

Fernandez Cemetery (aka Villalonga Park)

The Fernandez Reserve is also known as Villalonga Park and is situated on the site of the Spanish land grant given to Domingo Fernandez. This is the last remaining parcel of the plantation which had been sold by the Fernandez heirs to David Levy Yulee in the 1850’s when the town of New Fernandina was founded. In July 1870 the Florida Town Improvement Company executed a deed to Bishop Augustin Verot of the Roman Catholic Church in the Diocese of Florida, transferring a parcel of land 30 by 200 feet for the use of the parish church. the deed also stipulated that the land known as the “Fernandez Acre” or “Cemetery Reserve” is to be reserved to the heirs of Domingo Fernandiz in perpetuity. (Amelia Island)Between 4th and 5th Street north of Broom StreetFernandina Beach, FL 32034 USA GPS Location 30.673999, -81.461293 The Fernandez Reserve Burial Grounds are located in the center of the Park between St. Michael’s Catholic Church and the former St. Joseph’s Academy. The location in Fernandina Beach is between North 4th Street and North 5th Street just north of Broome St. The Burial Grounds are surrounded by a wrought iron fence. Further Information about the Fernandez Cemetery A large monument for the Villalonga family is inscribed on four sides as follows (map location #15): West Side: Sacred to the memory of our beloved and only son JULIUS A. VILLALONGA born September 19th 1837 on Amelia Island Fla Died in Savannah GA July 1st 1877 South Side: …

Fernandez Cemetery (aka Villalonga Park) Read More »

Amelia Plantation Chapel Columbarium

The Amelia Island Plantation Chapel Columbarium, located in the Memorial Garden at the Amelia Plantation Chapel, was dedicated on Palm Sunday, March 27, 1994. the minister, Dr. Cavid L. Uhl, and the President of the Governing Board, Marilyn Evans-Jones presided. The Amelia Plantation Chapel is an interdenominational community church and was formally dedicated on October 29,1990. To reach the Chapel, enter the main entrance to the Amelia Island Plantation off A1A, turn left at the entrance for the Administration Building, follow the circle around and turn to the right on Bowman Road. There is no restricted entry. Installation of the cremains in the niches are currently restricted to those who had membership in the Chapel congregation. Address (Amelia Island)36 Bowman RoadFernandina Beach, FL 32034 USA(904) 277-8323 GPS Location: 30.557201, -81.447788

Bosque Bello Cemetery Sign

Bosque Bello Cemetery – New Section

The Bosque Bello Cemetery is located one mile North of Atlantic Avenue on North 14th Street within the city of Fernandina Beach, Florida on Amelia Island. The old and new sections of Bosque Bello Cemetery are together on one site. The “New” section of the cemetery was added by the City of Fernandina on land donated by J.G. Cooper and Sadie Cooper in 1945. Location (Amelia Island)1240 N 14th StreetFernandina Beach, FL 32034 USA(904) 310-3362 GPS Location: 30.686466, -81.451044 About the New Bosque Bello Cemetery Survey The original section of the Cemetery was surveyed during 1987 by the General Duncan Lamont Clinch Historical Society of Amelia Island. You can find that survey here. In 1997, the Amelia Island Genealogy Society updated the original survey to include later burials, and surveyed the “New” section of the cemetery. This information is included in the current database. Mary Nelson, Nancy Sturges, Hal Belcher, Jean Mann, Joan Johnson, Pat Graham, Bill Hayes, and Ken Sturges Jr. completed this second survey. A complete resurvey of the New Cemetery is underway in 2012 and will include at least one photograph of each headstone. We are currently about 75% complete, and this section of the Bosque Bello Cemetery is estimated to contain 3,500 graves. The Graves in the new section of the cemetery are divided into 71 Divisions, including Babyland, and 32 Blocks. The Divisions are subdivided into Subdivisions A through E, which are divided again into sections and lots. The Blocks are subdivided directly into lots. …

Bosque Bello Cemetery – New Section Read More »

Bosque Bello Cemetery Sign

Bosque Bello Cemetery – Original or Old Section

The Bosque Bello Old Cemetery is located one mile North of Atlantic Avenue on North 14th Street within the city of Fernandina Beach, Florida on Amelia Island. The original section of the cemetery is thought to have been established in 1798 but the oldest identifiable grave, of French Soldier Peter Bouissou de Nicar, dates from 1813. Location (Amelia Island)1240 N 14th StreetFernandina Beach, FL 32034 USA(904) 310-3362 GPS Location: 30.686466, -81.451044 About the Original Bosque Bello Cemetery Survey The Cemetery Survey was conducted during 1987 by the General Duncan Lamont Clinch Historical Society of Amelia Island, by the following members of that society: George E. Barnes; Claire and Harold J. Belcher; Nancy and Scott R. Berryman; Mary Holt Boswell; David G. Bowers; Harry Bridges; Marie and Ernest Chaplin; Par Cottrell; Mary Isabel Doak; Carolyn Durden; Suzanne Hardee; Betty Long; Audrey Mertz; Fran and David Mudd; Ruth N. Neely; William F. Oliver; Annie Francis; Jack Walker; and Patsy and Allen P. Whitfield. In 1997, the Amelia Island Genealogy Society update the original survey to include later burials, and this information is included in the current database. Mary Nelson, Nancy Sturges, Hal Belcher, Jean Mann, Joan Johnson, Pat Graham, Bill Hayes, and Ken Sturges Jr. completed this second survey. Confederate Soldier burials were supplied by Jean Mann and Ken Sturges respectively, and their input is appreciated. The Grave location is given in two parts, first the name of the plot, if identified, and then the location on the map shown, so a …

Bosque Bello Cemetery – Original or Old Section Read More »

Nassau County Cemetery Search

The surveys for 69 Nassau Nassau County Florida cemeteries are contained in our database. They are searchable by name and/or cemetery. This compilation of cemetery surveys involved countless hours of volunteer work. Thanks to everyone who has contributed! The form below allows you to search all of the cemeteries at one time in the event you are not certain where your ancestor was buried in Nassau County, Florida. You can then sort those results by clicking on any of the header columns. If you know the cemetery name in which your ancestor was buried then it may be more prudent to search through only those results. You can do that at the following page: Nassau County Cemeteries

Civil War Muster Records for Nassau County Florida

The CSA Muster Records on the website were extracted by Lori Bragg primarily from Ron Thompson’s website of Civil War Military Units in Florida, and contain the known musters from nine Florida CSA Companies. The CSA records are known to be inaccurate, and our records probably contain individuals from other counties, and have some people missing. However, they represent a detailed effort to capture Nassau County members of the CSA who could be your ancestors. Obviously, this work should be verified by other sources.Muster Records on our site: 1st Florida Reserves, Companies B and E 2nd Florida Cavalry, Company D 2nd Florida Cavalry, Company E 2nd Florida Cavalry, Company I 3rd Florida Infantry, Company D 5th Florida Battalion Cavalry, Company C 5th Florida Battalion Cavalry, Company G 5th Florida Infantry, Company C 5th Florida Infantry, Company I (The Wakulla Tigers) The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors system presented by the National Park Service at Andersonville, GA has all known Civil War participants listed with their units and published histories. See https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm to search for both Union and CSA members.

Scroll to Top