Dennis Partridge

Dennis N. Partridge has been conducting personal research into his family since 1980. In 1996, in the infancy of the Internet, he morphed into a web developer bringing with him his passion for genealogy. Today, Dennis owns and operates AccessGenealogy (https://accessgenealogy.com/), one of the largest, privately owned genealogical websites online, well-known and frequented by Native American family researchers. Dennis also serves as President and Webmaster for the Amelia Island Genealogical Society. He specializes in breaking down brick walls, Native American ancestry, New England ancestry, and French-Canadian ancestry. However, his knowledge is broad enough to answer (or find the answer) to any geographical area.

Braddock Cemetery, Callahan

The Braddock Cemetery in Callahan is located as follows: A1A between Yulee and Callahan intersects with Griffin Road, which is next to the power company yard. Take Griffin road 2.2 miles to the intersection of Middle Road and Musslewhite Road. Turn right on Middle Road. Go 1.6 miles to Braddock Road. Turn right on Braddock Road and go 1/2 mile. (Note: Braddock Road is a dirt graded road.) Look into the woods on your left behind the ditch. The cemetery is on a slight mound. Braddock Cemetery, Callahan Interments (Nassau County)3852 Braddock RoadCallahan, FL 32011 USA GPS Location 30.659809, -81.776394 Inventoried in March 1998 by Kennery Sturges and earlier by Lori Bragg. The cemetery was surveyed in 1953 by a LDS team as Braddock Family Cemetery.

Braddock Cemetery, Hilliard

The Braddock Cemetery in Hilliard is located on private property known as the Mizell Tract-CCA. From the intersection of SR-108, in Hillard go south on US301 3-miles, turn left on Mizell Tract Rd for 0.6-mi then north on an unnamed road for 0.3-mi. The cemetery is 400-ft on the left. An inventory done in 1976 by Leonard T. McKendree, Jr. indicated eleven unmarked graves, one slab with no name, two graves that were caved in and unmarked and eight graves with wooden post markers. In 1993 only three unmarked graves were visible. McKendree family members state there are at least four McKendress buried in this cemetery, James Marion McKendree (verified by WPA Veterans survey), Lemuel McKendree, Charles B. McKendree and J. O. (Mack) McKendree. Braddock Cemetery, Hilliard Location (Nassau County)Mizell Tract RoadHilliard, FL 32046 USA GPS Location 30.672129, -81.872745 Inventoried May 1993 by Shirley Johnson McCabe, Ann Duff, and Joan Kraft Johnson.

Snowball Cemetery

The Family of Edwin Ruthben and Charlotte Marion Snowball

Pauline Gertrude Ellis Roberts, then 85 years old, wrote two books, one on the Snowball Family entitled History of the Snowball Family, 1796-1972, which traced the family back to Maine in 1796. The other book was about the Jacksonville Zoo which she researched for several years before printing it. In 1977, she provided information to the Jacksonville Genealogical Society for publication in its quarterly and it is included here. Mrs. Roberts was the granddaughter of Edwin Ruthben Snowball and his wife, Charlotte Marion Whittemore. She said, “The old Snowball Plantation house stood atop a yellow sandhill, one mile west of Lofton Creek on Harts Road. The graveyard was between the old plantation house privy and the backyard fence, bordering on Harts Road. This was a deep rutted dirt wagon road that crested the hill back of the house and ran parallel to the fence. It crossed Lofton Creek east and wound its way to Chester, Florida.” She continued, “ My grandfather, Edwin Ruthben Snowball, died on June 20, 1891, at the age of 58 and was buried in the backyard graveyard along with kith and kin of the Snowball and Whittemore families. All seven of the Snowball children and their spouses signed a warranty deed which was executed on 2 April 1904. This deed transferred from my grandmother, Mrs. Charlotte Marion Snowball, to Mrs. E. J. Johnson, both of Nassau County, the last of the old Snowball Plantation property except one quarter of an acre for a graveyard.” The seven...

This content is for members only.
Login Join Nowmembership has its benefits!

Bethel Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery

The Bethel Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery is in Hilliard Florida on Bethel Church Road. To reach it, go north on US #1 from Callahan to the caution light just before Hilliard, turn left off US #1 onto Henry Smith Road. Go over the railroad tracks, turn left onto CR115, go approximately 3.3 miles and you’ll see the sign on your left to the church. Turn left onto a dirt road and the church will be in front of you. MTS = Military Tombstone; MM = Military Marker; FHM = Funeral Home Marker; ME = Masonic Emblem; ES = Eastern Star Bethel Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery Location (Nassau County)36061 Bethel Church RoadCallahan, FL 32011 USA GPS Location 30.627876, -81.888083 This cemetery survey was made on July 26, 1994 by Charlene Wilkes and Levada Weaver. The cemetery was also surveyed in 1956 by an LDS team as Bethel Church Cemetery.

Benton Cemetery

The Benton Cemetery is listed in the Veterans’ Graves Registration Project of the WPA, containing the graves of two men, Malachia Anderson and Edward Benton. We have never been able to locate the cemetery, but the records of these two men are included in our database since we have proof of their burials. The original Veterans’ Graves Registration location directions place the cemetery in Section 19, Township 4N, Range 25E. “From the intersection of Kings Ferry and Fernandina Roads at Kings Ferry, go 4/10 mile on Kings Ferry road, the right on dirt road 2 and 2/10 miles to cemetery which lies on an open field” Jim Miller searched for this cemetery without success in 2013, and he created the following survey report to record the result. Benton Cemetery Survey Report

Acosta Cemetery

The Acosta Cemetery, also known as the Higginbotham Cemetery and the Page Cemetery, is located in Yulee Florida. To reach it, from SR 200, take Chester Road 4/10 miles to the intersection with Pages Dairy road. Turn left (west) on Pages Dairy Road and continue 1.6 miles. The cemetery is on the south side of Pages Dairy Road. Acosta Cemetery Location 86524 Pages Dairy RoadYulee, FL 32097 USA This cemetery was first inventoried by Shirley Johnson McCabe in June 1993. It was updated in March of 1998 by Nancy and Kenneth Sturges.

Vaughan Cemetery Dedication

Biography of John Daniel Vaughan

Following is a sketch of John Daniel Vaughn’s life presented at the dedication on May 7, 1927 for the unveiling of a marker at the grave of Lt. John Daniel Vaughan by the National Society Daughters of 1812, State of Florida. John D. Vaughan was born in Boston Mass., March 13, 1763. His parents were Henry and Mary Humphrey Vaughn, native of Dorchester, his mother’s family being one of the most conspicuous of that historic town. Of his childhood, there is no record. He entered military service at age 14, although he gave his age as sixteen in order to secure enlistment under existing army regulations. As the Massachusetts records testify, he enlisted in January, 1777, a private in Captain Wiley’s company, Colonel Michael Jackson’s regiment, and was honorably discharged in 1783. Following the Revolution he rendered service in the Indian wars in Captain Pierce’s regiment, commanded by Colonel Hamar in the year 1785, and was honorably discharged in 1786 From the official records it is shown that the military services of the young Massachusetts soldier coved in all a period of nineteen years. After the Revolution, he served continuously in Pennsylvania and other states. January 11 1795, he was appointed lieutenant of militia at Burnt For, GA., and continued as such until Jan. 1796. It was about this time that he married Rhoda Effingham, niece of Thomas Harvey Miller, owner of a notable plantation at Peter’s Point near St. Mary’s Ga. Her mother was Pharaba Miller, whose kinsman, Phienas...

This content is for members only.
Login Join Nowmembership has its benefits!
Vaughan Cemetery Dedication

Vaughan Cemetery

John Daniel Vaughan was a veteran of both the American Revolution and the War of 1812. The original monument was placed prior to the Civil War and was destroyed during that time. A six-foot-tall, four-sided obelisk was placed on the grave of John Vaughan prior to 1927. Tradition says that this obelisk and the original monument were placed by the U.S. government. It is thought that John Vaughan was the only veteran of both the Revolution and the War of 1812 buried in Florida. Service was also rendered by John Vaughan in the Indian wars. In 1797, he received a grant from the Spanish for a large tract of land on Amelia Island. He later received one hundred acres bounty land for service in the Revolution and a grant for service in the Indian war. Vaughan was married to Rhoda Effingham, daughter of Pharaba Milller. Rhoda Vaughan preceded her husband in death by many years. His final request was “to be buried in the same grave with his beloved wife.” Because of his request, it is assumed that she is also buried here. Indications are that others are buried in the Vaughan Cemetery, but no definitive list of interments is known to exist. Graves one through ten are shown on the plat even though identities of the interred are not known. Grave 11 is W. E. Scott, Jr., and Grave 14 is the Vaughan obelisk. Vaughan Cemetery Location (Amelia Island)5059 1st Coast HighwayFernandina Beach, FL 32034 USA GPS Location 30.583360, …

Vaughan Cemetery Read More »

St Peters Cemetery Layout

St. Peter’s Episcopal Cemetery

St. Peters Episcopal Church was organized on June 14, 1858, by Rev. Owen P. Thackara, who is buried in the cemetery, and a small group of Fernandina citizens. This meeting was held on the second floor of Timanus Hall, a building which once stood on the corner of Second and Centre streets and was destroyed by fire in 1876. The first church building was a wooden structure located at the southeast corner of the present St. Peter’s Episcopal cemetery. During the War Between the States, the building was occupied by the federal troops. Unauthorized burials were made on the church property during the time of occupation. It is thought that the first burial was that of Frederick Albert Grossman, the two-month-old son of Frederick Grossman, a captain in the 7th U.S. Infantry. Peter W. O. Koerner, a county surveyor who was born in Prussia, surveyed and divided the cemetery into plots, circa 1872 . He was also the surveyor for the new town of Fernandina. Church records show a variety of causes of death: yellow fever, catarrh (sic) of stomach, consumption, phthisis, neuralgia of the heart, congestion of the brain, killed by a train, bitten by a shark and bled to death, shot, drowned. Young Willie Jeffreys died after being attacked by a bear from a traveling circus while attending school in Gainesville. His body was returned to Fernandina for burial. Low cemetery walls surround many of the old grave sites. Many of the early tombstones were made by the …

St. Peter’s Episcopal Cemetery Read More »

Judd Cemetery

Judd Cemetery

The property on which the cemetery is located was purchased by Jehiel S. Judd on January 10, 1884 from Marion N. Sanderson. The transfer is recorded in Nassau County Deed Book T, page 453. The property was described as lots 13 and 14 of Subdivision S 2/3, Sec 12 T2N, R28E of the Suarez Grant. Part of this property was used for a burial site which evolved into the Judd Cemetery. The seller of the property, Marion Harrison Sanderson, is buried in the Harrison Cemetery. At one time, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church built in 1923 by Gus Gerbing was adjacent to the cemetery. Judd Cemetery Location (Amelia Island)4522 Buccaneer TrailFernandina Beach, FL 32034 USA GPS Location 30.596617, -81.459052 The Judd Cemetery is located 100 yards south of Philips Manor Road on the east side of Amelia Road. Additional Information about Judd Cemetery Surveyed before 1997 by the Amelia Island Genealogical Society, and again on 2 January 2010 by Jean Mann. Data on the Cook family burials and family relationships supplied by Jean Bain August 2013. Malisa Remboswki and Jim Miller completed a photographic survey in 2014. Judd Cemetery Layout

Scroll to Top