Upcoming Events!

Welcome to AIGS!

For over a quarter of a century the Amelia Island Genealogical Society (AIGS) has been proud to serve both those seeking information about Amelia Island ancestors and those without local ties wishing to connect with other local genealogists.

Our Genealogical Library

Search Our Website

Latest Genealogy

Genealogy Data

Jones Cemetery – Callahan

Jones Cemetery – Callahan To reach this beautifully kept cemetery, Turn left off SR 200 at Callahan Florida going north one block on US 1/301.t Turn left on on on Brandies Avenue (CR 108) and at the railroad track, keep to your right following River Road (CR108). Go 1.5 miles, and turn right on Jones Cemetery Road. The cemetery is about 100 yards down the road, with the main entrance on the right. This is a very old cemetery, with 1,550 graves in the oldest (Eastern) section and about 420 graves on the west side. There are twelve Confederate Civil…

Jones Cemetery

Jones Cemetery is between Yulee and Callahan Florida. To reach it, take Griffin Road off SR 200 (Turn north at Mt. Olive Church, 3.5 miles East of Callahan on A1A.) 2 1/2 miles to the end of Griffin road. Turn left at the end of the road. The cemetery is in a pasture on left on privately owned land. Information about this cemetery was supplied by Carl Jones of Pages Dairy Road in Yulee, a descendant of the people buried there. He said that John David Jones was the first Nassau County man killed in the Civil War, but no…

Hughes Jones Cemetery

This Cemetery is located in Yulee Florida. To reach it, go to the intersection of US 17 and A1A, go north on US 17 to Pages Dairy Road. Turn right on Pages Dairy Road, then right on Florida Avenue. This cemetery is known locally as the Yulee cemetery in addition to being called the Hughes cemetery. The Jones portion of the cemetery is in a large fenced-in plot of in the southwest corner of main Cemetery, it is really a privately owned cemetery whose owners chose to remain independent. The main Cemetery is divided into sections for the inventory but…

Hilliard Community Cemetery

The Hilliard Community cemetery is located in Hilliard. To reach the cemetery, go north on US 1 past the traffic light in the center of Hilliard for approximately one mile. The cemetery is located on the right beside the church. Hilliard Community Cemetery Location (Nassau County)552056 US 1Hilliard , FL 32046 USA GPS Location 30.699293, -81.922678

Hilliard Community Cemetery Interments

This cemetery was inventoried November 22, 1998 by Kenneth Sturges and Jan Warren.

Higginbotham Family Cemetery

The Higginbotham Family Cemetery is located on the private property of the estate of Linton L. Owens Jr., Evergreen, Florida, approximately 1/2 mile from the southeastern terminus of Owens Cutoff Road at Nassau County Highway 108. When driving northeast, CR 108 takes a right turn. Continue straight ahead across the cattle guard and follow the road to the Owens farmhouse. The house and outbuildings can be seen from CR 108. Higginbotham Family Cemetery Location (Nassau County)57200 Lazy Acres LandEvergreen , FL 32097 USA GPS Location 30.706081, -81.732803

Higginbotham Family Cemetery Interments

A survey of the cemetery was made by L. L. Owens,…

Haddock-Libby Cemetery

The Haddock-Libby cemetery, also known as the Haddock Cemetery, is located in Kings Ferry, Florida. To reach the cemetery, go north approximately 71/2 miles on County Road A121 off Cr 108 between Hilliard and US17. Pass beyond Haddock Road and turn left on a dirt road. The road continues through a gate which must be opened (and closed) to pass through. Continue to the end of the road to a clearing. The Cemetery is on the right. Alternate Route: From the intersection of Kings’ Ferry of CRA121, go south for 2.1 miles, turn right on the dirt road; open the…

Green Pine Cemetery

The Green Pine Cemetery is located in Chester Florida. To reach it, from the intersection of A1A and Chester Road, east of Yulee, go north on Chester Road to Green Pine Road, turn right. Look for the cemetery on the left. This is a perpetual care cemetery, and is privately owned and operated. Green Pine Cemetery Location (Nassau County)96281 Green Pine RoadYulee, FL 32097 USA(904) 261-0876 GPS Location 30.660934, -81.537330

Green Pine Cemetery Interments

The Green Pine Cemetery was inventoried in April, 1993 by Joan Johnson, Shirley McCabe and Connell Jenkins. Green Pine Cemetery

Geiger Family Cemetery

The Geiger Family Cemetery is located on land now owned by the First Baptist Church of Jacksonville, Florida, which is used as a Retreat Center. Permission must be obtained to visit the cemetery. The Retreat Center is located 3.3 miles north of the intersection of CR121 and Tomlinson Road. The Geiger Family Cemetery is surrounded by a chain link fence and can only be reached with permission and guidance from the caretaker of the First Baptist Church Retreat Center. There are only two tombstones remaining, but there is indication of many other graves due to the sunken condition of the…

Cooner-Wingate Cemetery

The Cooner-Wingate Cemetery is located North of Evergreen. The Florida Master Site File states there were 25 graves in 2004. We have records for only 18 people interred there. Go North from Yulee on US 17 for one mile past the Weight Station. The Agricultural Inspection Station is on the right, turn left on Owens Farm Road. Go 5/10 mile, turn right onto a dirt road. You will see the sign for “White Oak Plantation.” Follow this road 1/2 mile west until you come to the “White Oak Plantation Gatehouse.” Just before you reach this house, turn left and continue…

Conner-Green Cemetery

Established on property owned by Richard Green in the mid-1800s, the cemetery was originally known as the Green cemetery. The first grave that can be authenticated is for Rhoda Hunnicut Green, wife of James R. Green, the brother of Richard Green. In 1931, the name was changed to Conner-Green when one of the descendants married Frank Conner. Since Richard Green had no heirs, the property was inherited by James R. Green and his descendants. In 1931, Elizabeth Tanner Green, widow of Noah S. Green, deeded the cemetery to Nassau County and the State of Florida for cemetery purposes for the…

1 2 3 4 5

Genealogy Articles

Fernandina from 1811 until 1821

Old Town Fernandina Land Plats – 1811-1821

Fernandina was the last city platted by the Spanish in the New World, thirty years after the plat of Los Angeles. The plat of what is now known as Old Town follows the traditional elements of city planning in the New World by the Spanish. A town plaza faced the…

The Nassau County Genealogist cover

King’s Road

An extraction of a letter to The Florida Mirror published on February 14, 1880. This letter describes the writer’s thoughts on the changes within Nassau County since the Civil War. The writer uses the pseudonym of “Sug Yek.”
The Nassau County Genealogist cover

Territorial Papers of Florida

The Territorial Papers of Florida which have been transcribed and published by the National Archives hold a wealth of information about Florida during the territorial period from 1821 to 1845..

President’s Message for May 2022

We were treated to another entertaining presentation in March by Chip Kirkpatrick as he shared his passion of metal detecting and presented examples of historical finds he has discovered in the vicinity of Nassau County. The good news for those who were unable to attend the presentation is Chip has…

1907 Nassau County Map

Pro Cuba and City Expansion, 1895-1937

Building up to the Spanish-American war the port of Fernandina was used as a base of operation for those sympathetic to the Cuban plight. Arms, ammunition, and recruits were shipped from her port to Cuba. Once War was declared Fort Clinch was prepared for up to 10,000 soldiers and the…
1 2 3 4 5

Scroll to Top