Online Records

The Amelia Island Genealogical Society has collected 47,000 genealogical records for individuals who have lived in Nassau County Florida.

1895 Florida State Census for Nassau County Florida

A State Census is an extremely valuable tool for research covering the period between 1880 and 1900, since the Federal Census for 1890 was almost completely destroyed. Florida conducted statewide censuses in both 1885 and 1895, and a transcription of the 1895 Nassau County census data is posted here. Only the records for Nassau County from 1895 are available at the Florida State Archives. They were also published by the Jacksonville Genealogical Society. Citation: 1895 state census, Nassau County, Florida; Jacksonville Genealogical Society (Florida); Books/Monographs; Jacksonville, Florida; Jacksonville Genealogical Society, ©1976. While data from almost all of the Florida counties exist from the 1885 Census, data from Nassau County and three other Florida counties is missing. So, the 1895 census of Nassau County is the only census data available to you for that critical “twenty year” gap in the Federal Census records. Note regarding census page numbers and content Due to an overlapping numbering system, the census page numbers are separated by listing Fernandina with page numbers beginning with F. These include page numbers F5 through F39. The rest of the county is listed with page numbers 4 through 128. This is not a complete census of everyone who lived in Nassau County Florida in 1895. While it contains the names of many who lived here during this period, the transcription is incomplete!

Oxley Funeral Home

Oxley Funeral Home Records 1937-1974

These are the earliest existing records at Oxley Funeral Home, Fernandina Beach, Florida. The ledger contains services rendered, including ambulance service, and date of service. Only funeral records are entered here. Copies of original pages can be obtained from Oxley-Heard Funeral Directors. Click on the “More Details” to see further information about the listing if available. Information may include: Book #, Page #, Name of deceased, death date, death location, birth date, birth location, father, mother, occupation, internment location. Database created by Jean Dixon Mann on 15 Oct 2005

Nassau County Florida Obituaries

The Nassau County Public Library has in its collection 125 microfilm rolls containing the archived Nassau County Florida Newspapers for the twelve newspapers which existed in the county from 1880 to 2002. While the microfilms files are complete from 1949 through 2002 (four newspapers sequentially), the records from 1880 to 1948 (eight newspapers) are only partially complete. A complete list of the newspapers, and the dates of the microfilmed material can be seen at Newspaperlist.pdf . The Amelia Island Genealogical Society (AIGS) is in the process of abstracting these records, and we now have online the following records: Complete Years, 1879, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1949 through 1955, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1964 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969 and 1972 . In addition we have partial year results for 1878, 1886, 1907, 1908, 1910, 1918, 1920, 1923, 1925, 1927 and 1930. Records total 22694, with 3513 individual obituaries, and 19181 individuals who are mentioned in the obituary as pallbearers or other funeral attendees. Work is underway on the years 1956, 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1970, 1971, and 1973 -1975. For these years the abstracted obituaries contain the following information: Newspaper name Date, volume, issue, page and column for the obituary Name of deceased Place of birth if mentioned Age at death Birth place and birth date Death date and place of death Cemetery Cause of death and “other information” Both individual obituaries and people who are mentioned in the obituary who might have played an important part in the …

Nassau County Florida Obituaries Read More »

1850 Nassau County Census

The 1850 Federal Census for Nassau County, Florida was taken by Charles W. Pelot between October 28th and November 29th, 1850 and reflected the population on June 1, 1850, and includes 1087 individuals in Nassau County Florida. The census pages for Nassau County begins at 341 and go through 367. The Census is searchable by both first and last name, but also typically contains: Age, Sex, Occupation, Birthplace, Birth Year, and Birthplace (generally the state where the individual was born) and a few notes.

Scroll to Top