July 25, 2017
Present: Marcia Pertuz, Tonia Quarterman, Gloria Toomey, Gus Reinwald
- Q&A Sessions Report—Carol Miller
- Carol was unable to attend.
- Marcia Pertuz recommended that we continue to ask people to sign in each time they come, but that we stop reporting the numbers, as they seem to be about the same each time. The committee agreed.
- MOU (see draft at the end of these minutes)
- Marcia Pertuz and Dawn Bostwick met on June 27 to edit the original proposed MOU
- The committee reviewed the wording and approved the changes
- Next Steps
i.Dawn will meet with her supervisor to go over the MOU
ii.If no changes are made at that meeting, the final document will be signed by representatives of AIGS and the library
- Deed of Gift Wording (see revised form after MOU)
- We agreed to change name to Donation Form
- We agreed to delete: I/We do hereby irrevocably and unconditionally give and transfer to AIGS all right, title, and interest, including all copyright, trademark, and related interests in and to the following described property.
- We agreed to replace it with: Donations are accepted with the understanding that they may become the property of AIGS upon receipt, and that AIGS will make all necessary decisions as to their retention, location, cataloging and other considerations relating to their disposition. In all cases, AIGS will strive to find a repository for donations that do not fit the organization’s acquisition focus.
- Huggins Collection
- Indexing Plan
i.While we are in the process of digitizing and posting the images on our website, we will use our meetings to develop a naming protocol for the collection.
- Digitizing Plan
i.At our September meeting, we will create a schedule and protocol for using volunteers to help us digitize the entire collection.
- Miranda & Miranda Donations
- We accepted the donation of a base cabinet for our future map collection. The overall dimensions are 48" wide X 34.5" high X 34". It is currently dark gray, but the Mirandas have offered to have it re-laminated in black, if the library prefers. The Mirandas have also offered to store it until it is ready.
- We accepted their offer of about 2 dozen black 3-ring binders of several thicknesses. We will examine our collection to determine if they should be used to replace some of the binders we are currently using.
- Clarification of AIGS Collection Circulation Policy
- Nassau Co Pub Library current policy
ii.25 items per card
iii.May renew 3 times
iv.Materials may be placed on reserve and held 7 days for patrons
- We agreed to the AIGS Collection having the same policy.
- Acquisition Plan
- Colonial Dames
i.Gloria Toomey gave Marcia Pertuz the name of the Colonial Dames’ new librarian to confirm that they donate three books on Colonial History to the collection each year. Gloria said they always have a theme, last year it was colonial history for children.
ii.We will give the Dames recommendations for book to purchase
i.Gloria Toomey will have the new DAR librarian contact Marcia to discuss annual contributions.
i.We have designated our November meeting to decide upon the books we will purchase this year.
- AIGS Historian
- Marcia will present proposal for this position at the August board meeting.
- The AIGS Historian Duties
i.Preserve and record significant events of the Society
- Nassau County Genealogist
- Newspaper articles
ii.Attend Library Committee meetings
iii.Submit a monthly “A Look Back in Time” item to the Geneline
- New Business
- We discussed preserving the local research our members are doing as they prepare to be actual Fernandina residents from the past.
- Next Meeting will be Tuesday, Sep 5, 10-12 at the library.
Memorandum of Understanding Between Nassau County Public Library System
And Amelia Island Genealogical Society
This Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) sets forth the terms and understanding between the Nassau County Public Library System (NCPLS) and the Amelia Island Genealogical Society (AIGS) to provide for and maintain the AIGS library collection.
This partnership will benefit both organizations by allowing users to access the collection of genealogical materials. AIGS receives housing and cataloging of its collection from NCPLS.
This MOU will assign/clarify the roles of AIGS and NCPLS and helps both organizations to achieve our mutual goals of serving the research needs of all users.
The above goals will be will be accomplished by undertaking the following activities; AIGS will purchase appropriate materials/supplies and process materials for cataloging.
- Provide a designated AIGS volunteer working committee to collaborate on collection development and policies
- Purchase appropriate materials/supplies
- Process purchased and donated materials for cataloging
- Respond to queries and provide research help to users
- Keep the AIGS-owned materials (mainly?) at the Fernandina Beach Branch Library (FBBL)
- Provide cataloging for AIGS-owned materials
- Provide an appropriate environment (e.g. temperature, humidity) in the FBBL
- Provide security for the collection using RFID tags
- Provide searchable access to the collection on the library website
- Provide circulation of AIGS-owned material
This MOU is not a commitment of funds for either party.
This MOU is at-will and may be modified by mutual consent of authorized officials from the AIGS and the NCPLS. This MOU shall become effective upon signature by the authorized officials from both parties and will remain in effect until modified or terminated by any one of the partners by mutual consent. In the event either party wishes to rescind this agreement, they shall notify the other party in writing with 90 days’ notice.
Donations are accepted with the understanding that they may become the property of AIGS upon receipt, and that AIGS will make all necessary decisions as to their retention, location, cataloging and other considerations relating to their disposition. In all cases, AIGS will strive to find a repository for donations that do not fit the organization’s acquisition focus.
Name____________________________________ Date: ______________________________
City__________________________________ State: _________ Zip: _____________________
Telephone_____________________________ Email: _________________________________
I /We own the personal property described below and wish to give said personal property to the Amelia Island Genealogical Society.
By my signature below I accept the foregoing conditions.
Signature of Donor(s) ___________________________________________________________
This gift is given in memory of____________________________________________________
Description of Gift:
Received by_______________________________ Date________________________________